Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bacon sausage

I am basking in the afterglow of cheddar scrambled eggs and bacon sausage right now. I don't know who invented bacon sausage (tenderloin with bacon ground in), but I want to kiss them on the mouth.
It's cold up here and the snow hasn't went anywhere, but, from what I can tell, we're about halfway through the bad stuff. You can see signs of cabin fever everywhere; the people up here love being on the water. For now they have to settle for ice fishing, so things are getting a teensy bit edgy.
The day job is good. The holiday news slump is ending and we're getting back to some decent news holes. Ads are way down, but that's normal for this time of year. The publisher is a pretty good operator and is using the down time to get ready for the return of tourist season. The Lake People won't be able to handle such a stepped up effort.
I've had to trim a bit in the newsroom, but that actually looks like its going to work out. My sports kid is leaving to join the ministry, which sucks because he's really stepped up his game here, but one of the guys I had to cut back is a perfect replacement. I hope he takes the job. The other guy I cut back has another FT gig anyway, so he was a good sport about the whole thing.
The big move is working out for me, all told. There's just enough money for cable and groceries up there while making the note on the house in Indy, the people up are ridiculously friendly and I catch myself enjoying journalism a little more everyday.
It's been a long time since I could say that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enough about the bacon sausage. there is more going on up there then that. josie