Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reality check

Hey, long time no blog.
I don't know what I or you expected from Pres. Obama's speech tonight, but it seems to me that he brought what he reasonably could. He can't fix this, really, and he's not the kind of guy to write checks he can't cash.
Let's face it: the Gulf Coast is fucked, the fishermen are fucked and no one at BP, the Coast Guard or even our Nobel Prize winning physicist Secretary of Energy knows how to stop the gusher a mile below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.
The hurt is just beginning and no one knows when, or if, it will stop. BP is going to lawyer up at some point and go bankruptcy on our asses, long before everyone is made whole.
All I can tell you is to raise Hell with your Senators and Congressmen. Tell them half-assed isn't good enough and stick to that. The least bad solution to helping the Gulf Coast and keeping the economy from collapsing again is Big Government flexing regulatory muscles. Start by soaking Wall Street and the top one percent with much higher taxes, and give out grants to manufacturers willing to make solar, wind, natural gas and biodiesel affordable enough that you and I can buy into them on our pathetic, working class salaries.

PS: I'm heading south of the 45th parallel for good at the end of the month and back to the Circle City, the wife, the kids and the suck job market down there. The North Pole is wonderful, but the day job just won't get me where I need to be. It's been good, but it's time to move on ... again.

No comments: