Saturday, April 4, 2009

I might go for a walk...Heaven forfend!

I think spring has finally come to the North Pole. It's bright and almost mild today.
Green is starting to creep in and trees are just days away from budding. All of the little woodland creatures are making their first rounds of the year. My chiropractor is eagerly awaiting the first visit of his neighbor/bear. All of the deer and elk are getting ready for rutting season.
The seagulls are out in force, crapping on everything in sight. Pine siskins, the ubiquitous little finches that wintered here this year, are emptying feeders all along the Straits of Mackinac.
After four decades of dealing with the pluses and minuses of big town living, this is all a nice change for the lapsednewsguy. It sounds idyllic, I know, but even nice small towns such as my new home have problems, too. There are no jobs here; a job fair drew nearly 600 applicants for seasonal jobs that are likely to be filled by temporary workers shipped in from the Carribbean and Central Europe. The job fair was the local chamber's attempt to convince the motel and restaurant owners to hire locals. We'll see if it did any good.
I don't want to pooh-pooh the good stuff, however. I have some day job stuff to do today, so I might walk to work and get some fresh air. If I stop for lunch at one of the diners, at least a few people will recognize my head shot and tell me everything they do and don't like about the paper. I might stop at the drug store to buy a Detroit newspaper; the gal at the pharmacy counter will ask how my rheumatiz feels today. When I'm done at work, I could go to the bar next door and talk to the manager about that business feature I've been putting off for two months. Even the U-M fans will wear Spartan green today.
All in all, it should be a good day.

No comments: